Your Ad Here

Friday, August 22, 2008

Grandma with Cancer at Age 67, Lives Until Age 85

Many accounts, written or unwritten, prove that man's thoughts greatly influence his health condition. One of these accounts is unwritten until now...

My Grandma Lily is a fine and cheerful old lady. You will never see her wrinkled face without a trace of three or five smiles everyday. She dresses neatly and beautifully and at her age, she still smells sweet and fresh. I can remember that Grandma is fond of cooking and ballroom dancing. Grandma loves us, her family, so much, especially Grandpa. She is the most thoughtful and caring person I’ve ever known.

At age 67, Grandma was diagnosed with cancer and said to have only six months to one year the most to live. That time, at a young age of six years, I didn’t remember any worried expression on Grandma’s face. I remember that Grandpa, with his teary eyes, appears to be more frightened than anyone inside the hospital room. Grandma said, "Oh Philip, I hate to leave you like that. You know that I love dancing as much as you do. I know that you can never leave a day without my cooking. I love to dance, I love to cook, and most of all I love you." Even though, this times curing cancer is really a great challenge, Grandma said, "Philip, if these doctors can not cure me, I will cure myself! I will live further! I will not die ahead of you."

Grandma became more careful of the food she eats. She religiously followed the doctor’s advises and she prayed to God even more. Grandma told us that everyday, for the 6,556 days of her life, she thanks God because she is still living. She thanks God for all the people who are always there to support her and she thanks God that despite of the pain, she can still smile and makes other people smile.

I was then stubborn as a little girl. I always do naughty things to our pet dog Bernie. Sometimes, when I am in the mood, I destroy my toys so that Grandma will buy me new ones, and if she didn’t I will cry. I will cry forever, until Grandma feels guilty and give-in to my vices. However, Grandma never runs out of patience. My father is very lucky to have Grandma Lily as his mother.

Grandma died last year, at the 26th of May, the same exact date when she was born. She lived up to 85 inspiring years. Grandma taught me the value of life and love. I will never forget what she told me when I was only seven years old. She said, "ALWAYS love your family and friends because life is so short. Do not be afraid to let go of the persons whom you have loved so much. Instead, be afraid to let go of them whom you have loved less, regretting that you should have loved them more."

4 comments:

Home said...

visited.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thursday!

Unknown said...

visited today!

Barbara said...

HI, nice blog,just dropped by to say hi!